Protein powders are enjoying the spotlight among consumers more than ever before. It wasn’t too long ago when protein powders were aimed at, and used by, male bodybuilders and competitive athletes. They are now used by people of all ages and in all states of physical shape. The goals are health, vitality, and nutrition, to help achieve one’s personal best health and fitness status. Protein powders are no longer just for competition and extreme muscle building.
Although whey proteins are still a top choice as these products have been widely available for several decades, there have become more choices of plant-based proteins for consumers who don’t want whey or have problems digesting whey. Additionally, for many with sensitivities whey may cause indigestion, abdominal distention or lactose allergy.
An early plant-protein that is also widely available now is soy protein; and while soy protein is suitable for vegans, it is also a common allergen and can also cause indigestion and flatulence. Additionally, soy contains phytoestrogens – genistein and daidzein – which men may want to stay away from.
Vegetable protein possesses some unique characteristics compared to animal protein. First, it is abundant in various amino acids (protein building blocks) and key nutrients including antioxidants in a balanced content. Secondly some studies have suggested vegetable proteins support healthy blood pressure and cholesterol profiles. Also, vegetable protein is much more easily absorbed than animal protein.
Our new Pumpkin Protein Powder and Hemp Protein Powder are rich in health-building and fitness-shaping amino acids, as follows: glutamic acid, arginine, aspartic acid, leucine, glycine, serine, phenylalanine, valine, alanine, lysine, proline, isoleucine, tyrosine, threonine, histidine, methionine, tryptophan and cystine.
Potential label and marketing claims for Pumpkin Protein Powder include:
- Supports serotonin production (via its tryptophan content)
- Naturally improves mood balance
- Magnesium and zinc play roles in enzyme reactions and muscle growth
- Supports recovery of impaired tissues and cells
- Offers an attractive macro-nutrient profile (monounsaturated fat, carbohydrate and fiber), making it a perfect fitness powder
Potential label and marketing claims for Hemp Protein Powder include:
- Hypoallergenic protein, suitable for people who are allergic to egg, milk, gluten and soybeans
- Rich in heart-healthy omega-3 EFAs, vitamins, minerals and fiber
- Promotes muscle growth and recovery
- Supports thermogenesis and reduces catabolism
- Easily digested and absorbed.